Question
Posted by: LFA | 2010-09-17

High Insulin levels

Dear Dr Bets

I have been diagnosed with insulin resistance (as a side issue) as part of an infertility profile.

My insulin level is 23.4, which apparently is very high. I was told that insulin resistance is a pre-diabetic state.

My question thus: At what insulin level does one " switch"  to the diabetic state? That is, what is the highest level insulin will reach, before it suddenly drops and glucose starts to rise?

LFA

Unfortunately, the diagnosis of diabetes is made by doing a glucose tolerance test, where a large amount of glucose is taken orally and the response is measured. Insulin levels fluctuate and is only an indicator of pre-diabetic condition.