Question
Posted by: Micky B | 2010/01/07

High insulin levels

I just had a series of bloodwork done by my GP after feeling unwell for the last couple of months. She picked up hightend levels op insuline &  wants me to come in for a papsmear at the same time. I was also placed on IBS meds - this I know is generic as every women on my mother' s side of the family has it.
Does this mean I have diabetes? I only turned 30 in Oct-2009 &  weigh only 55kg. Only my grandmother on my mother' s side had diabetes (type 1), could I have inherited it from her?
I' m seeing my GP again on Saturday morning for the follow up &  smear, but I' m really scared, especially about what I' ve read on the internet. One article explained how hightened insulin levels could be an indication of PCOS. The GP also mentioned a consultation about vit. B. I' m a vegan so I' m not that suprised that I might be deficient.
What can I expect my GP to say? I just want to to be a bit prepared for what might actually hit me.

Hallo Mickey B
No increased insulin levels usually mean that you are insulin resistant ( you have enough insulin but your body does not react to it as it should) It can develop into diabetes if not treated. It can be treated by 30 min exercise per day and Metformin medication and overweight people should lose weight (your'e fine there!) PCOS is a condition that cause weight gain, stops menstruation, causes acne and sometimes abnormal hair growth on the face - it is not necessarily always linked with insulin resistance.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/01/07

Hallo Mickey B

Reply to cyberdoc