Posted by: CANDY 2 | 2008-11-17

Hi Doc, I have been diagosed with high insulin levels (70) and I would just like to know if my levels dont come down what are the problems associated with it and is it serious. I am just very unsure what it means and if i should be worried? Thanks

Hi Cancy 2
A high insulin level is an indication that you have insulin resistance - your body needs to make more insulin to get the sugar in your blood transferred to your cells to use as energy. ( Insulin is like the ''key" that unlocks the door to transport sugar for energy into cells - if you are insulin resistant, the cells are not reactive to insulin as they should be ) Eventually this can lead to diabetes. You can manage this by exercising daily ( walking x 20-30 min's is enough) and eating a diabetic diet - low GI, minimal refined sugars, high in vegetables and complex carbohydrates, low fat.