Posted by: Flowerpower | 2009-08-28

High Insulin

Hi, i just got blood test results back from my doc... Insulin is 20.3 which i am aware is VERY high and WILL cause diabetes. So now i' m crying my eyes out... I can' t afford to go see a dietician monthly and i don' t want to go on glucophage. My doc said I can turn this around, i can change it by eating right, i don' t have to go on medication yet. I' m young and I need to do this. But I don' t have money to pay a dietician. Please help - what do you suggest I do? I need to change, I need to turn this around. I want to be healthy, I can' t get Diabetes please? THanks...

Dear Flowerpower
As the dr says, you can turn this condition around by losing weight (if this should be necessary?), eating a low-fat. low-glycaemic index (GI) diet and doing exercise every day for 30 min or more (jogging, skipping, swimming, cycling, brisk walking, etc). It is however, essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). You will not need to see the dietitian every month and for your health's sake it is better to scrap together the fee to at least see a dietitian once in 6 months (save on other things until your condition improves). In the meanwhile click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’.
Your health is more important that anything else and you need expert guidance to prevent you from developing diabetes, which would make your young life much more complicated.

Posted by: Cindy | 2009-08-28

Hi there,

Trust me i understand where you are coming from. I had to move to a new city to find a doc who took me seriously about my insulin levels. he put me on glucophage and i have cut out all carbs from my diet. I went on low GI and picked up weight and then i tried my own diet of low fat protein and veg and 1 fruit per day it has helped me loose weight. It is a way of life so you need to change your life to get healthy.

i' m not an expert just have the same experience you have.

Reply to Cindy