Posted by: Nxalati | 2008-11-10

High Insulin

I am struggling to fall pregnant and I went to one of the Fertility specialist and test were done. I was told that my Insulin is high pls see note below( " Insulin very high: 56 (normal 3-10)! Was this fasting insulin?
If correctly done you must please start a strict diet and start Glucophage 850 mg twice a day (please phone for script)." ). I would like to know the effect of high insulin on fertility and what type of diet can I eat to lower my insulin. I have also done blood sugar test and it is normal.

Dear Nxalati

The fact that you have high fasting insulin usually indicates that you have a problem of insulin resistance. Insulin resistance has an effect on fertility by affecting ovulation. The type of diet that you would require to reduce your insulin the carbohydrate-controlled diet as well as exercising.