Question
Posted by: suzie | 2008/09/12

high glycaemic index

Low GI is what everyone is talking about, is high glycaemic index good, since its in the All bran Flakes

Dear Suzie
According to the South African Glycemic Index Guide, All Bran flakes have an intermediate GI of 69, but if these flakes are eaten with low-fat, or fat-free milk they have a low GI of 53. I have also just checked the packet of Bokomo All bran flakes in my cupboard and it says "low-GI" on the label. I am therefore, puzzled about the mention of All Bran flakes having a high GI? Foods with a high-GI are useful as sources of instant energy and for sportsmen and women who need plenty of readily available energy to replenish their energy stores (glycogen) in the body after exercise. It is also possible to lower the GI of a food by combining it with a low-GI food, such as the skim milk that lowers the GI of a breakfast cereal.

1
Posted by: Bambi | 2008/09/12

Only after exercise to maintain sugar levels otherwise stick to LOW GI foods.

Reply to Bambi