Question
Posted by: MDK | 2011/01/26

High GGT (Liver Blood Test)

I have recently had blood work done and although all my tests came back fine there was a spike in my GGT this time last year it was 52 and this year it is 167. My doctor has told me to stop drinking. How long should I be off the booze for before the levels reach normality again.

What else could effect the spike in GGT?

Looking forward to your reply.

MDK

Hallo MDK
Alcohol abuse is the most common cause for increased GGT but pancreatic disease, heart failure and certain medications like St Johns Wort, phenytoin, aspirin and anti-inflammatories can also increase the levels. How quickly it will subside if you stop drinking will depend on the health of your liver. It may take a month or longer.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/01/26

Hallo MDK