Posted by: Cornelia | 2009-09-30

High FSH and LH levels

Please explain what it means when the day 2 FSH and LH levels are high but I did ovulate according to the other tests. I am 29 years old. My gyne said to try Inofolic for 3mnths and repeat blood tests but Inofolic is used mostly for PCOS of which I don' t have any signs or symptoms. My periods are regular and not too heavy or painfull. The period during which the Day 2 test was done was about 4 days late (this almost never happens) could this have messed up the results? I have a lot of stress too, can this be a cause? Unfortunately I don' t have the actual values of the blood results.

Dear Cornelia

I would suggest that you repeat the day-2 blood tests and should the levels still be elevated then this will indicate poor ovarian reserves or poor likelihood of producing good quality eggs. Another test called the AMH may well be of value in this situation together with a good pelvic ultrasound scan to assess the size and activity of your ovaries.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim