Posted by: Clara | 2012-08-25

High fever for a week

I have had a fever for almost a week, reaching 40 most days, especially towards the end of the day. I also have a headache, bad nausea, vomiting(infrequent) and sore eyes. I have a productive cough, but no blocked sinuses and the sputum doesn''t appear infected. All the blood tests came back normal (bacteria, viral, even glandular fever), but did show that there was significant inflammation. I have no bites on my body and no rash and have been taking voltaren, Valoid/ maxalon and now doxycyl. the next step is in hospital- please advise something else!!

A fever of 40 degrees celsius must be investigated and if no apparent reason can be found, you will have to consult an internal specialist for blood tests, x-rays and a spinal fluid sample. It can be possible that you have meningitis. In light of your severe fever and constand headache, I suggest that you go to the emergency unit as soon as possible.