Question
Posted by: Angie | 2009/12/03

High CRP count

Hi there,

On a scale of 1 - 10 (1 being not to worry and 10 being a big concern), how concerning is a CRP count of 284?

My husband is currently in hospital, as doctors are unhappy with he' s CRP levels.

He' s CRP count increased from 92 in Aug - to 180 in mid Oct - and now it is 284...

Please advise

Hallo Angie
C-reactive protein (CRP) is a protein found in the blood, the levels increase when there is inflammation in the body or liver disease. People with a baseline high CRP without inflammation is more at risk for diabetes, hypertension and heart disease. I think it is wise of his doctor to admit him to try and find the cause of the elevation, so that it can be treated before it causes damage. I can't really tell you how concerning it is, it depends on the cause of the elevation.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/12/03

Hallo Angie
dr Bets

Reply to cyberdoc