Posted by: Sparkle | 2010-04-23

High CRP and abd pain

I have had this pain in my right upper abdomen for a week now. I''ve been to the gp. He initially thought pleurisy and sent me for chest x-ray, abdominal x-ray and blood tests.

My chest is 100% clear, and abd x-ray show no calcifications or free air. My liver function enzymes are normal (AST is 40 which is a little high). My FBC is completely normal - no sign of infection or anaemia. BUT my CRP is 43!! I''m getting very worried - my gp says it is most likely a viral infection (if it was bacterial, he thinks my WCC would be up). I''m not convinced. I don''t feel ill in any way (other than the pain in my side) - so I really don''t think there is any inflammation happening. What can this raised CRP mean? Is there need for concern?

I am worried about gall bladder, but he doesn''t feel it presents this way at all!
Please advise........

I agree with your GP but I suggest an ultrasound of the abdomen to exclude liver pathology that is not detected by x-rays and blood tests. The raised CRP can show infection but more spesific inflammation. Therefore, I suggest that you have to investigate the cause of your pain.