Question
Posted by: Joe | 2010/09/15

High cost of loving

I am in my early sixties and my wife is 10 years younger. We have been married for 35 years and are still in love. We have always enjoyed a healthy sex life. I now find that I am having difficulty, not in getting an erection, but in maintaining one, certainly for long enough for my wife to achieve orgasm. I''''ve been given a clean bill of health and my urologist has prescribed Cialis to overcome the problem. However the pharmacist informs us that our medical aid will not cover the cost, which is almost R400 for 2, yes TWO, tablets. R200 per session is somewhat beyond our means so my question is: are there any generics (or similar) to help us in this predicament? We are not happy to try the various over-the-counter products for all the reasons that we often see on Health 24. Thank you.

Dear Joe

It is wonderful that you have such a loving relationship with your wife and that you have been given a clean bill of health. Unfortunately there are no generic medications available yet for the PDE5 Inhibitors, Cialis being one. On last enquiring at a local pharmacy however, I was told that two tablets of Cialis would cost R248 which is a lot less than what you have been quoted. Cialis is beneficial because it acts over 36hrs. Viagra, however, may be a bit cheaper, two 50 mg tablets cost approximately R218, but intercourse is advisable within 4 hours of taking the medication. My advice would be to perhaps try a different pharmacy or to contact your urologist to discuss this issue.

5
Posted by: jOE | 2010/09/17

Thanks everyone. We found that there was a misunderstanding and the price is actually just under R200, not R400. So we''ve bought the tabs and look forward to a fun weekend!

Reply to jOE
Posted by: XXX | 2010/09/16

There are a couple of herbal alternatives which cost a lot less.Try your local pharmacy.

Reply to XXX
Posted by: Sexologist | 2010/09/16

Dear Joe

Reply to Sexologist
Posted by: Sexologist | 2010/09/16

Dear Joe

Reply to Sexologist
Posted by: G | 2010/09/15

I am certainly not knowlegeable (spelling), but is Viagra not considerable cheaper?

Reply to G