Posted by: Joe | 2010-09-14

High cost of loving

I am in my early sixties and my wife is 10 years younger. We have been married for 35 years and are still in love. We have always enjoyed a healthy sex life. I now find that I am having difficulty, not in getting an erection, but in maintaining one, certainly for long enough for my wife to achieve orgasm. I''ve been given a clean bill of health and my urologist has prescribed Cialis to overcome the problem. However the pharmacist informs us that our medical aid will not cover the cost, which is almost R400 for 2, yes TWO, tablets. R200 per session is somewhat beyond our means so my question is: are there any generics (or similar) to help us in this predicament? We are not happy to try the various over-the-counter products for all the reasons that we often see on Health 24. Thank you.

Expert ImageAgeing and Sexuality expert

Attaining an erection but not maintaining is common in men of your age and I am delighted that you have done a medical check up and all is good with your health. I hope you live a healthy life style too..
By the way women mostly achieve orgasms with clitoral stimulation so I would not worry too much about getting an erection and lasting long for your wife to climax. Rather give her as much clitoral pleasure and attention as she requires to become satisfied and /or orgasmic.
I am a little horrified at the price quoted by your pharmacist for the PDE5I(Viagra, Levitra, Cialis) Indeed Medical Aid will not pay - but this is way over quoted. The average price of all three PDE5I's is about R85 each. So find a new pharmacist for a new quote.
If it still remains unaffordable for you, discuss the use of injection therapy with your health care provider. At this time there are no PDE5I generics on the market - and absolutely avoid the use of over-the-counter products.

Posted by: Joe | 2010-09-17

Sorry, we found that there was a misunderstanding and the price is actually just under R200, not R400. So we''''ve bought the tabs and look forward to a fun weekend!

Reply to Joe