Posted by: JRS | 2009-03-17

High Cortisol low DHEA

Im 35 years old female. Ive been experiencing hair loss now for aprox 1 year. My Endo ran alot of tests incl thyroid, iron, vitamins and DHEa and cortisol. All were normal except the DHEA which was very low and the cortisol was very high. She says this result shows that Im very stressed and she is sure that this is what is causing my hair to fall. She has put me on DHEA 25mg a day and 50mg every alt day. This has not changed my results or stopped my hair loss after taking this for 4 months. She says she cannot give me anything else. My GP does not know how to treat this, she suggested I try a anti depressant. Im against using that as Im not depressed. Also I dont feel stressed. Im insulin resistant and take 850 mg of Glucophage 2x day. Im on Nordette. Can there be anything else causing my problem of high cortisol? What else can I take or ask my endo about to lower the cortisol if this in fact causing my hair loss.

Dear JRS
Try taking a supplement like NU hair multivitamin and put Lennon Bergamot essence in your shampoo ( 1 bottle to 1 bottle shampoo) If possible, try and stop the Nordette and use another kind of contraceptive like an IUD, condoms or Mirena