Question
Posted by: Karen | 2008/07/29

High Cholestorol

I have hereditory high cholestorol. Latest test results total of 8. I normally do not eat fatty food, just occasional chocolates and I am still in my 30' s and not overweight. What should I look out for as signs that my lifestyle is not enough to keep my Cholestorol low? I don' t have a medical aid and normally don' t remember to drink medicine in anyway, so I have not used any Cholestorol meds for the past year.

Thank you kindly for your help.

Hallo Karen
You should look on package inserts when you buy food, don't use any product that has more than 10 g fat per 100 gram product. See http://www.heartfoundation.co.za/health/cholesterol.htm for diet guidelines.

Your cholesterol is too high and you probably need to take medication - you do get generic medications that is cheaper. You should aim for a cholesterol of about 5.

Remember, living a life crippled after a stroke or a heart attack will be much more expensive and difficult than taking the right precautions now!