Question
Posted by: Lady M | 2011-02-05

High cholesterol/Omega 3

Dear Dr

My husband has very high cholesterol (9.1 with the LDL at 6.8). He got a huge fright and is on a strict diet. His cholesterol was high all his life but we managed to get it down to 6.4 at a time with diet and exercise and Prava.

He neglected his diet the last 2 years and I think this could be the reason why the cholesterol is so high.

Should he stay on his diet (went to see a dietician and got a diet for cholesterol/blood pressure/high insulen levels). His insulen level is high too (9.5) because he neglected his diet.

He takes medication for cholesterol (Prava 40mg). He takes Omega 3 tablets extra now (started this week) and exercise in the gym for 2 hours every morning. He follows his diet very carefully.

My question is:

Should he change his cholesterol medication or should he wait a while (perhaps 3 months) and test it again and see what it is before changing medication?

Is Prava still a good product or is there perhaps something better on the market? Is it good to change these kinds of medication? He suffers from sinusitis and I was told that Prava could be the reason for this. Is this true?

Any advice will be highly appreciated - thank you so much.

I stress a lot about this because I want to help him maintain a healthy lifestyle. He is turning 48 and it is crucial to watch your health at this age.

Can you take slow mag and Vitaforce Nutri B together in the morning as well as the Omega 3 tablets?

Do some of them work against each other or not?

He takes Zestril for his blood pressure and it is good on this tablet (120/80).

Thanks again - sorry for all the questions.

Kind regards

Lady M

If he wants to change his cholesterol medication, I suggest that he considers a product like Lipitor. Lipitor is very effective and has minimal side effects but is really very effective to lower cholesterol. It has anti-inflammatory action, which helps to prevent heart attacks.

It is possible that the sinusitis is a side effect from Prava.

He can supplement with Slow Mag and Vitaforce B as well and none of them works against the other.

If Zestril is controlling his blood pressure, I do not see any need to change it.