Question
Posted by: Anne | 2011/06/18

High Cholesterol

Hi Graham,

I have been battling with anorexia for a few years, with my BMI not having been in a normal range for about 3years with this relapse. I recently had blood tests done and aside from the normal (abnormalities), my cholesterol was extrememly high. I don''t know if this hasn''t been tested before or if it was fiine before (I have just started with a new psychiatrist). I have no family history of high cholesterol. My body fat% is below 10 and my pstchiatrist says that it is common to have elevated cholesterol. Now someone else has told me it''s usually lowered in eating disorders. I don''t know what is normal or not, please help!! Why would it be so high?

Thank you,
Anne

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Anne,
I'm not really in a position to make a diagnostic judgement on your cholesterol. As far as I am aware, the explanation for your elevated cholesterol (hyperlipidaemia) could be related to a number of factors. What is important are two things. First you needs to take all the necessary steps to resolve your eating disorder, as your current dietary practices are likely complicating your body chemistry status. Second, I suggest you approach your GP or an endocrinologist and have it investigated whether you would require medication ( most commonly Statins) to redue your cholesterol. However, there are some dietary changes that could reducee your cholesterol levels. A number of my patients have found success using Niacin B3 and Red Yeast Rice as a less invasive way of correcting cholesterol. However, I must stress that you should speak to a medical doctor for advice in is regard.
Regards,
Graham

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2011/06/19

Hi Anne,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert