Question
Posted by: Val | 2011/03/11

High Cholesterol

I have recently found out that I have High Cholesterol - the results of the test were : Total Cholesterol 6.6: HDL 2.3: LDL 3.7 TRIGLYCERIDES 1.4. Please could you tell me which are the best foods to eat to help lower the LDL figure. I am a member of Wieghless and follow the eating plan mostly. Many thanks

Dear Val
If you suffer from high cholesterol, then you would need to lower your intakes of total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol. To lower your cholesterol levels basically you will have to eat a diet that is low in total fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol, and high in dietary fibre and protective nutrients - this entails eating plenty of fruit and vegetables, low-fat milk and dairy products, very lean meat, fish, only 4 eggs per week and only mono- or polyunsaturated margarine or oil (this is where you can use olive oil in normal quantities). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet - this diet will also help you lose weight. You need to check the foods you buy in the supermarket - compare the total fat content of say standard Vienna sausages and that of Low-fat or Lean Viennas - if the latter still contain more than 5g of fat per 100g, then it is better to avoid them. Rather use less processed food, e.g. cook chicken without skin and without added fat (grill or boil in a stew), to have greater control of the fat content than when you eat processed foods. You can also use omega-3 fatty acids (Salmon oil capsules - buy at chemist) to reduce blood cholesterol and try Flora pro-activ which contains plant sterols to lower blood cholesterol (most supermarkets sell this type of margarine). For additional articles, click on 'Diet’nFood' and 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section. If you require a specific diet to be worked out for you, then I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Seeing that you are with Weigh-Less, I would recommend that you discuss your cholesterol problem with your group leader to see if she/he can help you adjust your present diet accordingly.

1

Dear Val