Question
Posted by: Lee | 2010/03/04

High cholesterol

My cholesterol is 6.11. I am following a low carb, high protein diet, which includes an egg for breakfast every mornth. I would like to know if this diet will have an effect on my cholesterol? Is having an egg a day dangerous for high colesterol?

Dear Lee
One of the reasons why my dietetic colleagues and I are opposed to any low-carb, high-protein diets is that they tend to be high in fat and cholesterol. According to the Heart Foundation of SA, adult South Africans should limit their egg intake to 4 eggs per week because eggs have such a high cholesterol content. A standard boiled egg of 50g contains 210 mg of cholesterol which is already 70% of the daily recommended cholesterol intake (300 mg). If you then also eat 2-3 large servings of meat per day then you will be exceeding you cholesterol intake.
Take care

2
Posted by: Gretel Sander | 2010/03/04

I would like a list of food that will assist in breaking down my high cholesterol level. Many thanks.

Reply to Gretel Sander

Dear Lee
Take care