Question
Posted by: NWH | 2009-11-17

High cholesterol

My cholesterol is very high. What foods can I eat to help decrease my cholesterol and what foods should I try avoid?

Also, I look at the saturated fat content on food packages, but i' m not sure as to how much saturated fat (per 100g) is acceptable. How much is an ok amount?

Dear NWH
If you suffer from high cholesterol, then you would need to lower your intakes of total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol. To lower your cholesterol levels basically you will have to eat a diet that is low in total fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol, and high in dietary fibre and protective nutrients - this entails eating plenty of fruit and vegetables, low-fat milk and dairy products, very lean meat, fish, only 4 eggs per week and only mono- or polyunsaturated margarine or oil (this is where you can use olive oil in normal quantities). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet - if you don't need to lose any weight you can use larger portions of the permitted foods, but should otherwise stick to the portion sizes. You need to check the foods you buy in the supermarket - compare the total fat content of say standard Vienna sausages and that of Low-fat or Lean Viennas - if the latter still contain more than 3g of fat per 100g, then it is better to avoid them. Rather use less processed food, e.g. cook chicken without skin and without added fat (grill or boil in a stew), to have greater control of the fat content than when you eat processed foods. You can also use omega-3 fatty acids (Salmon oil capsules - buy at chemist) to reduce blood cholesterol and try Flora pro-activ which contains plant sterols to lower blood cholesterol (most supermarkets sell this type of margarine). For additional articles, click on 'Diet' and 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section. If you require a specific diet to be worked out for you, then I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).You can use the following values to judge if a food is low in fat and saturated fat" To qualify as a "low-fat food" the food should not contain more tha 3 g of fat per 100g or 1,5 g of fat per 100 ml. To qualify as a food that is low in saturated fat, the food should not contain more than 1 g per 100g or 0,8 g per 100 ml.

2
Posted by: JHH | 2009-11-18

Veggies, fruit, no fatty meat. chichen without skin. Avo is good fat.

Reply to JHH
Posted by: DietDoc | 2009-11-18

Dear NWH