Posted by: dw | 2009-07-31

high cholesterol

Hi Doc. I had my cholesterol tested and it is 5.7. The nurse said I am borderline. However, I do not eat red meat, no egg yolks only the egg white, no fried food. In general I eat very healthy, so I dont know where I am getting it from. My parents dont suffer from high cholesterol either. I have a lot of protein shakes as I gym a lot, so I eat 6 small meals. What can I change or am I not thinking of? Thanks.

Dear DW
Increased cholesterol levels can be due to your individual genetic makeup. If you are already on a low-fat, low-saturated fat and low-cholesterol diet then it may be a good idea to ask a dietitian to arrange for you to be tested by GeneCare to determine if you are a patient who will not benefit from dietary treatment, but need to use cholesterol-lowering medication. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. You can also contact GeneCare at or phone: (021) 422-5538, but I am suggesting that you see the dietitian so that she/he can also assess your diet.

Posted by: John | 2009-07-31

DO NOT LISTERN to a nurse!!!!
Go for proper test at a lab. (PathAre)
Let the Dr tell you what is what!

Reply to John