Posted by: Lepiritla | 2013-01-19

High blood pressure, what should I do.

My dad is 70 years old, he was diagnosed with high blood pressure about a year ago. He complains about his legs, they turn to swell.

(1) Does my 2 above mentioned conditions relate?

(2) As a 70 year old what should my dad be doing to guard agaist age related desease?

(3) What must he do to respond to his known condition, high blood pressure?

Thanks in advance,

It is important that your father follows the advice of his doctor. It is very important that he takes his high blood pressure medication daily, to prevent the complications of high blood pressure. He should not eat any salt, as this will raise his blood pressure. I do suggest that your father consults a doctor to exclude heart failure, which might be a possible cause for the swelling of his legs. Motivate your father to do as much exercise that he is comfortable with.

Posted by: anxious | 2013-01-20

You don''t say what his bp actually is or what medication (if any) he is taking. Having this info will help CD answer your posting more easily. Untreated high blood pressure is very dangerous, ie it can cause heart attack, stroke and even death.

Regular exercise, a healthy diet and regular check ups are just some of the things he should be doing.

Reply to anxious