Posted by: Valtee | 2008-12-05

Is there any over the counter preparation I can buy to control my high blood pressure and also for excess water retention. I am diabetic, but this seems to be well controlled, and I am taking only 1 Glucophage tablet a day. I used to be on 1 Glucophage twice a day, plus 1 Amaryl in the morning, and an insulin (Protophane) shot last thing at night. 18 months ago I started taking a product called Manna Plus, which has really stabilized my blood sugar. My morning readings have been around 6.2 for nearly a year now, and the specialist physcisian suggested I discontinue all sugar medication, except 1 Glucophage if my reading is above 7.5.
The problem is that 3 tunes in the last 18 months I have been admitted to hospital with pneumonia/fluid on the lungs. This has caused a very bloated stomache, and enlarged heart and cardiac failure. I had to have Lasix and I don' t know what else drip into me for a few days, and then I was put onto an oral dose of Lasix 80 gm and Aldactone 100, and Slow K. As a pensioner I am battling to make ends meet and the levy required by medical aid on these medications is more than I can afford. Also medical aid does not cover blood tests taken while I was in hospital, and I am still paying off these accounts. I was therefore wondering if there is not an over the counter alternative I can use.

Expert ImagePharmacist

No, unfortunately there is nothing available OTC that is even closely as effective as your current medication. I would advise you not to change any of your medication without consulting your doctor.

I suggest speaking to your prescriber regarding your predicament - There are cheaper and more affordable generic medicines available and your doctor may help to switch you to a more affordable treatment regime.

Best of luck!