Question
Posted by: Francois | 2010-05-08

High blood pressure, bladder infections, general health issues.

My wife has been struggling with her general health for many years. It seems to me that doctors only ever try to deal with the immediate problems and are never willing to take the time to step back, look at the big picture, and try and discover the root cause / causes of the problems.

Over the last 2 to 4 weeks she has started getting regular severe headaches. Some times they are so bad that it feels she might pass out. Nurofen doesn''t seem to bring much relief. She also says it feels as if something is crushing her chest.
We lent a blood pressure machine today, and took several readings. Her blood pressure is 163 / 106 with a pulse of 99, after sitting still for 1 and a half hours.

For many years she used to get extremely frequent bladder infections and even kidney infections, until her gynecologist discovered she has insulin resistance, and put her on Glucophage. So for the last 5 years or so that has been very much better, but she still gets 3 to 4 bladder infections a year. When that happens, she says it feels that her whole stomach area is infected and tender. (Doctors usually completely disregard this).
She tries to drink 3 liters of water a day, which seems to be the only thing that helps to prevent it.
The gynecologist also diagnosed Polycystic Ovaries.

She greatly struggles to lose weight around her middle and with some hair growth. Her menstrual cycles are highly irregular when not on the pill, and even on it she is sometimes a day or 3 late. Bad headaches are also common at this time.

She also battles with fatigue, feeling very tired most of the time. She would be in bed every evening at 8 if she could.

Four months ago she started taking Siplatrim, and has also completely cut all sugar from her diet, as well as most fats. She has lost 12 Kg as a result and now weighs 70.

Medication she is taking currently:
* Glucophage: 500 mg twice per day  for Insulin resistance
* Eltroxon: 0.1 mg once per day  for Under active theroid
* Femodene
* Siplatrim

I hope that you are able to assist.
Thank you much.

Francois

All her symptoms can be related to the underactive thyroid. How long ago has she had her thyroid levels tested and what was the result of the T4 hormone? This is very important to know because it is a clear indication of what her thyroid hormones are doing.

Please refer to the following link regarding hypothyroidism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothyroidism

Polycystic Ovarian Disease and Insulin Resistant Diabetes Militus go hand in hand. This can also be an explanation for her symptoms. It is therefore, important to treat POD, as well as control her insulin levels as optimal as possible.

All these diseases can explain her symptoms. I suggest that she consults an internal specialist to address her problems step by step, as a global problem.

2
Posted by: michelle | 2010-08-18

I have a purple mark under my breast that started as an itch. I''m 31 years old, have no childen and am currently not sexually active. Its not painful or itchy, it just started itching for a few hours, and when I checked, it was there. I''ve had this for 2 weeks.
Please help

Reply to michelle
Posted by: Francois | 2010-05-10

Thank you for the info. Will take that further.

Reply to Francois