Question
Posted by: Catlady | 2012-08-26

High Blood Pressure and Hot Springs

I was wanting to go to the Caltitzdorp Baths as I have had a hip replacement 2 years ago and a laminectomy in March this year. It has taken me a long time to get to where I am now but it has been terribly cold and then I feel the pain in my back. I do have painkillers but they make me fall asleep and after 4 months of bed I really don''t want this anymore. I thought going to the hot springs would be beneficial and relax the muscles but a friend says the baths are terribly hot and that it shouldn''t be used by people with high blood pressure. I am on medication for that but would love to know if what she says is true. I was so looking forward to this.

Catlady

There is no reason why you can not enjoy the relaxing experience of the hot springs. It is important to note that the hot springs will cause dilation of the small arteries in the skin. This will in fact lower your blood pressure and if you get out of the bath, you should just be careful, as this might cause fainting (postural hypotension).