Question
Posted by: Sam | 2012/07/04

High blood pressure

Hi Cyber Doc.

I''m a 26 year old female, weigh 52kg, am 166cm tall. When I was 21 I had terrible mood swings, saw a doc, and they found that I had high blood pressure. They changed my pill and it seemed to work. This year I started passing out  it''s more of a loss of control over my body and fainting, I am perfectly fine, then suddenly feel like I am going to pass out because I feel sick, I feel weak, I start to sweat, and I lose control of my legs, and drop. I then cannot get up for a while, and sometimes vomit. I went to the doc, because people were saying I''m pregnant, and they found that I had a bp of 160/115 - the doc put me on Pearinda, and I had to go back a month later. The day before I went back, I had another " attack"  in public, only this time it lasted longer, and I started going blue, had pins and needles in my hands, feet and face, and my hands were closing by themselves (and I didn''t have the strength to control it). Some people gave me sugar water to drink, and rushed me to the nearest pharmacy, where they found that my blood pressure was 140/115 and my heart rate was 110. They asked me to stand, and when I did, the readings shot up. I went back to the doc, told her what happened, she checked out my bp, and then gave me another month''s Pearinda 4, as well as Ecotrin and Raidaq (not sure of the spelling right now). She said she isn''t sure what''s wrong. I''m not pregnant, my blood sugar is normal, my thyroid is normal, what could it be? I googled it, and POTS came up. What tests will tell me if it is POTS or not?

Sam

I strongly suggest that you consult a neurologist to exclude the possibility that you are suffering from epilepsy. Your doctor can test for POTS by taking your blood pressure when you are lying down, sitting down and quickly standing up. This will show changes in heart rate and blood pressure associated with postural change.

3
Posted by: Pamela | 2012/07/04

POTS ?? As in smoking? Whats this?

Reply to Pamela
Posted by: Sam | 2012/07/04

...and I''m often short of breath and feel my heart go crazy every now and then. I''m also on Yasmin.

Reply to Sam
Posted by: Sam | 2012/07/04

Oh and I forgot to add, my heart rate doesn''t seem to go under 100 much and the reason I think it might be POTS is because it always happens when I get up, even when it happened in public the other day, I had dropped a bottle and bend down to pick it up, and then it hit me.

Sam

Reply to Sam