Question
Posted by: Liza | 2010/08/04

High Blood pressure

I have arthiritis, and was diagnosed with cluster headaches and now I have high blood pressure. I do not know what foods to eat for my blood pressure because I have already left a lot of food for my headaches and have lost a total of 22kg. Please help me.

Dear Liza
I am so sorry to hear that you have 3 such problematic conditions. If you have already lost so much weight then the standard diet for high blood pressure may cause even more weightloss. Usually we recommend that patients with high blood pressure should use the DASH diet that was developed in the USA to treat high bp (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page and then on 'Food as medicine' and 'Hypertension' and read more about the DASH Diet), but if you are already underweight (?) after losing those 22 kg, then you actually need to have a specific diet prescription worked out for you by a dietitian that takes the arthritis, your high bp and the cluster headaches into account. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. I trust that you are also receiving medical treatment for the 3 conditions esp the high bp? if not, please see your doctor so that you can lower your bp, which may also help for the headaches.
Holding thumbs for you

2
Posted by: Liza | 2010/08/04

I need to know what kind of foods I can eat to lower my blood pressure but will not increase my headaches that I already have.

Reply to Liza

Dear Liza
Holding thumbs for you