Question
Posted by: DEW | 2010-05-20

High Blood Pressure

What diet should i follow for High Blood Pressure?

Dear Dew
Click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page and then on 'Food as medicine' and 'Hypertension' and read about the DASH Diet which was developed in the USA to lower bp. This diet is low in fat and sodium which will respectively assist with weightloss and lower your bp and cholesterol. Exercise such as going for brisk walks would also help, but please do not embark on any exercise programme without first consulting the dr who is treating your hypertension. If the dr gives permission you can start doing the type of exercise he/she recommends.

3
Posted by: DEW | 2010-05-21

Whoops maybe i should have enlightened about my health first.
I am not an overweight woman of 27yrs. I gym everyday for an hour doing spinning, aerobics, powerplates, swimming, yoga, pilates etc. I wouldnt want to lose to much more weight as i am not into the thin anorexic look :) My cholestrol was checked last month and is normal - good for my age. I am an active person who has never suffered with any medical conditions. Last year July i had my first baby who was 3 months prem due to pre eclampsia, since then my BP has been high. I dont want to be on medication for the rest of my life and would rather find out about a diet i can follow to get it right. Thanks for your comments and help, anything at this point will help me. I''m so anti doctors!

Reply to DEW
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-05-21

Dear Dew

Posted by: Vitalitydietician (RD) | 2010-05-20

NB Lose all excess (fat) weight
See a Registered Dietician (RD)
Find one close to you on the ADSA website
Most Medical aids will pay for consulting one.

Reply to Vitalitydietician (RD)