Question
Posted by: Mel | 2010/01/19

High Blood pressure

I am 24 years old &  I have hypertension, Dr'  s diagnosed a narrowed aorta when I was about 15, I am pregnant with our second child. I had a rough pregnancy with our first, was on strict bed rest the last two months of my previous pregnancy &  in hospital the last two weeks,before my son was delivered via c-section at 39 weeks. My BP started acting up at about 28weeks. I am now 13weeks &  my BP is 150/70, My Dr is not to concerned at this moment, but I am worried! I am currently taking Hypotone 500mg twice daily &  adalat 30 in the evening. Is there anything else I can do to keep my BP under control? Any advice would be appreciated!

thank You!!

Dear Mel
I would urge you to see a clinical dietitian ASAP because there is a specific diet called the DASH diet that you can use for hypertension. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Food as medicine' and 'Hypertension' and read about the DASH Diet which was developed in the USA to lower blood pressure. This diet is low in sodium /salt which should lower bp and it is rich in calcium which may help for the preeclampsia-type condition you are developing . However, because you are pregnant I would not like you to use this diet without the assistance of a dietitian who will ensure that you obtain all the nutrients you need for the growth of your baby. Please contact a dietitian as soon as possible.
Holding thumbs for you and the baby

1

Dear Mel
Holding thumbs for you and the baby