Question
Posted by: Shelby | 2010/01/06

High Blood Pressure

Hello Doctor,

My maid is having severe headaches and went to our clinic at the local pharmacy. She has a blood pressure of 144 over 100. The Sister told her that she cannot prescribe medication but that she should go and see the Doctor. Neither her nor I can afford a Doctor or prescription medication at this stage, is there anything that she can take over the counter or a generic medication?

She did go to the government clinic but waited for 5 hours and was not attended to.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Hallo Shelby
I suggest that you have her blood pressure taken daily for a few days in a row. If the blood pressure is on average always more than 120 at the top and more than 90 at the bottom, she needs to see a doctor and you may need to take her to your local provincial hospital outpatient department. They need to do some tests ( ECG, cholesterol, kidney function etc) and will then prescribe long term medication for her to use. I would not suggest that she starts treatment on one reading alone as BP can go up and down and severe headache in itself can cause increased BP. Try Adcodol for the headaches - not more than 4 days in a row as it contains a medication that can be addictive. If normal headache medication does not help after 1 or 2 doses she needs to see a doctor to exclude more dangerous causes of headache, like bleeding in the brain or a tumour.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/01/06

Hallo Shelby

Reply to cyberdoc