Posted by: Me | 2009-08-26

High Blood Pressure

Hi Doc - I am a 54 year-old menopausal woman who has always had normal BP in the range of about 120 / 80 and if it did ever change, it tended to rather go lower than higher. My husband and I own a business and are very stressed out at the moment due to being so busy. We have a BP machine at home and when I took my BP yesterday as I was feeling a bit dizzy, noted that it was 141 / 88. Today I felt the same so decided to once again check it and it was 142 / 91. My pulse is usually around 72 and I go on my Treadmill 5 times a week for 30 minutes each session - when I go on it my pulse usually fluctuates between 72 and about 145. On the odd occasion it has gone up to about 232 and then gone down again quite quickly - what should I do when this happens? Not worry or stop the Treadmill? Your advice re the BP issue would be appreciated. Should I see my GP? Thank-you.

Dear Me
Blood pressure tends to go up when you are stressed or while exercising - keep an eye on it, (maybe keep a diary) if the average for a week is above 90 at the bottom and above 140 at the top, see your doctor. When exercising your heart rate should not go above the PMHR ( 220 - Your Age = Predicted Maximum Heart Rate)