Question
Posted by: Dee | 2009-03-25

high blood pressure

I have gone on a healthy eating plan. The dietician told me three weeks ago that my blood pressure was way too high. It is 140 over 90. I went to my GP and he said that my blood pressure always has been on the high side, but nothing to worry about.He did a blood test and has now put me on Eltroxin 50mg( I had 3/4 of my thyroid removed 6 months ago due to a growth )
Today I was weighed and it was 140 over 110. The dietician is stressing and says I must immediately go back to my doctor.
I am 48 years old, am about 10 kilos overweight. Could the Eltroxin push my blood pressure up? Please could you advise.

Dear Dee
140/110 is very high, but it could be due to stress of seeing the dietician too! Have your blood pressure taken daily and if the average over a few days is > 140 at the top and > 90 at the bottom you need to go onto blood pressure treatment as soon as possible. I don't think it is the Eltroxin causing this.