Posted by: Sam | 2012-09-30

High blood preassure

Good day. I''m a 26 year old female of normal w I eight. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure a few months back (it caused me to have black outs). My blood pressure was on average 145/110. I then went onto Pearinda +4, Ecotrin and Ridaq. My blood pressure dropped to an average or 125/90. I was recently ill and couldn''t keep food down, never mind meds, and noticed a drop in my blood pressure. I then stopped taking the meds, and for over a week now, I''ve noticed my blood pressure is 110/70. I''m not sick anymore, it was just a tummy bug I had. How is it that now that I''ve stopped taking the meds, that my blood pressure had dropped? Should I be worried?

Thanks, Sam

It is possible that due to your illness, you became dehydrated, causing your blood pressure to drop, even after the stomach bug has subsided. I suggest that you reconsult your GP for an examination and a 24 hour blood pressure monitor, to determine if you have to continue taking the medication. A 24 hour blood pressure monitor is worn by a patient and takes readings every couple of minutes to give a clear indication of what your blood pressure is doing.