Question
Posted by: reg | 2012-12-09

high arches

Hi, i have very high arches on both feet and experience
Extreme discomfort when walking. The balls of my feet get very sore as all the pressure is onthe front of my feet when i walk. Can you please advise me on how to alleviate the condition.thank you kindly.
Reg.

Expert ImagePodiatrist

Thank you for your question, you will need to consult with a podiatrist with a special interest in biomechanics for an assessment to be fitted possible with a customade orthotic. The orthotic would take on the shape of your arches, help to redistribute the weight across your feet evenly, absorb shock and provide cushioning under the heels and over the balls of the feet.
The podiatrist would also be able to advise you on exercises to strengthen your foot muscles.
I would also suggest that you don't walk bare feet and wear very cushioning shoes. The correct shoe wear would already offer you a lot of relief - purchase shoes with a rubber sole, cushioning/ gel innersole and make that you replace your shoes on a regular basis as the midsole and cushioning would wear out before the upper of the shoe.
For your nearest podiatrist 0861 100 249 or www.podiatrist.co.za