Posted by: amicrazy | 2008-11-11

High anxiety.. neck pain..hypochondriac?

Couple of weeks ago I found myself in the ER due to what was diagnosed as a panic attack. My heart rate was 140. They hooked me to the EKG and did a bunch of blood tests and everything was fine. They shot me with some ativan and sent me on my way with a small prescription for ativan.

My GP put me on a heart pill Metoprolol to help keep my heart from racing so much. I told him of my anxieties and he wants to try and treat my heart before anxiety.

Most of my anxieties come from me feeling something different with my body. Lately it has been chronic neck pain.

I saw my GP again a week after he gave me the heart pill and told him I had chronic neck pain. He ordered an x-ray and it showed that my neck has lost almost ALL it' s natural curve. He prescribed me a muscle relaxer and sent me on my way.

My neck pain has persisted since then and my anxieties are getting hard to control again. I' m down to my last few ativan and my GP doesn' t even really want me taking it right now but I have only taken it when I ABSOLUTELY needed it, at a time when I couldn' t handle my anxiety on my own.

I' ve been having headaches which I believe are from my stress and neck pain, but I' ve also been experiencing some other phenomena that has really been fueling my anxieties.

I have had a weird pressure in my head and even though I' m completely sober I feel " stoned" . I feel pressure behind my eyes and I don' t know if this is normal or not, but lately it seems like my vision has a layer of " transparent static" .. which I don' t know if I' ve always had it and/or over exaggerating symptoms or if it' s an actual symptom of something.

This is driving me nuts and I don' t know if I should confront my GP about my anxiety issues or if I should see a psychiatrist...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Not crazy, not by a long way, but from the sound of it, very anxious ( Anxiety Disorder is common, after all ) and suffering a range of uncomfortable symptoms typical of severe anxiety disorder. The good news is that anxiety disorder responds very well to treatment, both with Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) and with some medications, including some also used to treat depression ( which can be effective without having the risk of dependency which some of the benzo family, like Ativan, can cause ). I think you would be most likel to find relief by seeing a specialist psychiatrist and following his/her advice --- not because you're crazy, but because yo0u're not, but that the shrink is the most expert at clearing up this sort of problem