Question
Posted by: Charlene Haasbroek | 2009/10/27

Hiccups, water retention and varicose veins

I would like to get your opinion on three “ conditions”  I am experiencing.

The first is hiccups. For the past couple of years I’ ve been having periodical hiccups. It would occur a few times during the day –  sometimes during or after eating, and sometimes just randomly. Normally the hiccups stop quickly, other times I have to make it go away by breathing into my cupped hands or a paper bag. The fact that I am getting hiccups every single day seems to be slightly abnormal.

The second is water retention. My hands and feet have a tendency to get swollen, especially on warm days or if I walk a lot. Sometimes my fingers will swell so much that I can’ t bend or straighten them completely. This will sometimes affect my face as well, so that my eyelids and cheeks seem puffy.

The third is varicose veins. I have a quite pertinent varicose vein in my one calve and it seems like there is one developing in my other calve as well. I also have a lot of spider veins on my thighs. I would also sometimes experience a feeling of pain or tiredness in my legs, especially at night.

Some information which might be relevant:
I am 23 years old, 1.65m tall and weigh about 60kg. I live a relatively healthy lifestyle –  I don’ t smoke, use alcohol moderately, eat healthy balanced meals 75% of the time and exercise at least twice a week (for example jogging, cycling, taebo or squash). I also drink between 4 –  8 glasses of water per day.

None of these affects my health or my life in any way. I am just curious if these could be related and what could cause them. Is there any way to prevent it or have I just been “ blessed”  with bad genes?

Charlene

Hallo Charlene
Hiccups are caused by irritation of the diaphragm and you may have a small hiatus hernia that triggers these attacks. Sometimes the type of food/size of the bite triggers it - dry foods and biggish food pieces are common culprits, so if you tend to eat fast,this could be a cause.
Swollen eyes, fingers and legs need to be further examined - ask your doctor to test your liver and kidney functions, listen to your heart and check if you have enough protein in your blood.
Varicose veins are often hereditary - this can be treated by an operation to remove the offending vein (surgeons do it)

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/10/27

Hallo Charlene

Reply to cyberdoc