Question
Posted by: Lu | 2011/08/25

Hiccups

My 12week old Jack Russell Puppy gets the Hiccups at least once a day. Any reason for concern? Why? Could it be cause he eats so frantically? He always have food and water nearby.

Thank you!

Hi Lu

Hiccups are a direct result of a diaphragmatic flutter. The most common causes are the rapid ingestion of food, irritants, excitement etc.

Generally hiccups are of no concern unless there is a more serious underlying cause such as a stroke, pneumonia, asthma etc. If you are concerned I suggest that you visit you local vet and have a check-up.

Kind regards
Angus Campbell