Question
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2010/02/17

Hiatus Hernia &  Swallowing Problem

Dear Cyberdoc

I have had a swallowing problem for years and have had various barium meals - my sister was diagnosed with throat cancer 5 years ago and died 3 years ago). The barium x-ray showed cricopharynginal achalasia and I had an endoscope on Monday by a surgeon which showed I had a hiatus hernia. Was given Vomidom and was not told anything about my swallowing problem. I took the photos to my GP and I felt very ill with a sore tummy. (I have sufffered for years from spastic colon attacks for which a take a -|- tail and when that doesn' t work, I go for an injection some times two). This tummy I could feel was not a spastic colon, they took blood samples and my blood pressure was sky high. Got a pill and injection and colapsed into bed. This morning I was told by my GP that I am bleeding internally (From what I don' t know) and that another appointment was made with the same surgeon for Friday. I really don' t know what to expect or ask. Should I ask for a second opinion? And what has the swallowing problem got to do with a hiatus hernia? I live in the Garden Route and I think I need a gastroenteroligist but surgeon did not think it was necessary. I have been taken Topzole for years as at one stage my food came out and I went into paraxoxisms with coughing. It is most uncomfortable to eat and I can' t eat in public. I even have my fruit yoghurt choking me. Can you please advise what I should do?
Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
PS I am 70.

Dear Cat Lady
You are certainly allowed to get a second opinion. Many surgeons/physicians are also qualified gastroenterologists so the one who did your endoscope probably has the qualification. Haitus hernia causes acid reflux, which burns the lower end of the esophagus, causing inflammation and scar tissue forming, which can cause swallowing problems. You may be having a bleeding stomach ulcer that they saw with the endoscopy. It makes me so cross when they don't discuss results etc with patients. Do not be shy to ask questions (lots!!) if you need to.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/02/18

Dear Cat Lady

Reply to cyberdoc