Question
Posted by: Nini | 2012-10-19

Hiatus Hernia

Good day,

I read a question on here posted a few days ago about a Hiatus Hernia, and the lady''s chances of falling pregnant. You then mentioned that medication such as " Omeprazole and related medication"  can cause birth defects. In your opinion, does this include Nexium?

I am currently 30 weeks pregnant, and am on Nexium twice a day for a large Hiatus Hernia - should I be concerned? Does your statement above include Nexium as causing possible birth defects?

Nini

I have read that there are cases where there have been reports of heart abnormalities and a slight increase of stillbirths if omeprazole is taken during the first trimester. Large studies have however, been done and it has been found that if a proton pump inhibitor is indicated during pregnancy, that omeprazole is the drug of choice. The cases relating to possible cardiovascular defects and stillbirths might have been co-incidental. The FDA rates omeprazole as a higher risk than other PPI's during pregnancy but this was based on animal studies.

I do think that you are safe in taking Nexium, as long as your gynaecologist is aware that you are using it.