Question
Posted by: LC | 2012/10/15

Hiatus hernia

Hi, I have been diagnosed with a 2cm Hiatus Hernia which was infected. Before being diagnosed i suffered with pain for over a year. I was given IV to clear the infection and was put on a 7 day course of Nexiam (this was in June), Now the pain is back. What should I do? I plan on having a baby next year but have read that when pregnant this can be very painful. Please advise.

You should see a doctor about the hiatus hernia if you are having pain again. If the pain is due to reflux and is not helped by Nexiam, you should have this sorted out before you fall pregnant.

3
Posted by: LC | 2012/10/15

Thank you so much for your advise. This is all so painfull and stressfull.

Reply to LC
Posted by: Nini | 2012/10/15

I am currently 29 weeks pregnant, also with a large Hiatus Hernia. Let me tell you, it''s no joke. I am on Nexium 2x per day, which costs me fortune each month! Over and above that I am on Zantac as well for heartburn. As it is now I cannot eat any form of bread / pasta / rice, anything with wheat or flour in it. No coffee, no sweets, no full cream dairy... the list is endless. It was so bad at one stage that I ended up in hospital from the pain!

But the reality is that Hiatus Hernia''s are part of life. If you can manage your diet right, and with the right medications, you''ll have no problems. And also, some women dont experience any problems with their Hernia''s during pregnancy either.

The most extreme alternative is to have the Reflux surgery, but that is only in severe cases.

Dont let something like that stop you from becoming pregnant. You''ll get through it, just like I am doing so now.

In the mean time, perhaps going onto something similar to Nexium might not be a bad idea, especially since you are experiencing symptoms again. I know there is a cheaper brand, but I dont know the name.

Reply to Nini