Question
Posted by: Savannnah | 2009-09-07

Hiatal Hernia

Hope you are well,
Thanks a million for taking time to read this

My Husband went on the 01/09/2009 for a Laproscopic Diaphagmatic hiatal hernia repair op.

He still is in a lot of pain and discomfort.
However i do require your assiatance on the types of food that he should consume. The doc (nice guy) said that he should be on a liquid diet and slowly start eating puree food.

So, i have given him mashed potatoe, semolina dish, jelly.
Yesterday i cut up the pasta into tiny pieces with minced chicken...infact I bought this from Woolies (kids meal)and mashed it up.

Please give me more ideas as to what i can give him to eat that is also nutitorious as well,

Oh, i have made him scarmmbled egg for one meal and then jungle oats as well,

Dear Savannah
Thank you for your kind words. I am well, just sorry to hear that your hubby is in a lot of pain and discomfort. Do you have a liquidiser? If not, do consider purchasing one. A liquidiser is ideal to process cooked bland foods like plain cooked mince/chicken or fish and mashed potato, cooked bland vegetables (butternut, carrots) and to add a bit of milk to the mix to make it easy to swallow. Other foods like ice cream, jelly, custard, yoghurt, smoothies made with full-cream milk and honey and even a banana (if he can swallow the latter) can all be used. You can also liquidise soups or prepare clear soups with diluted stock cubes. Porridges mixed with full-cream milk and honey are also easy to swallow. This is a time when your hubby does not need variety in his diet, but should only eat foods that he can swallow without pain or discomfort. Once he has healed he can revert to eating 'normal' foods. You can also consider purchasing liquid meal supplements - companies like Nestle and Fresenius Kabi make such supplements that you can buy at the chemist. Discuss this with the pharmacist explaining your hubby’s condition and select a high-energy or a fibre-enriched liquid food supplement depending on your hubby's needs. He can have the liquid meals instead of standard meals or in addition to them, depending on his present weight. If he is very thin and emaciated due to the op, then having 1 or 2 liquid meals in addition to his other liquidised foods will help him recover faster.
I hope he soon feels 100% better