Posted by: Lila | 2009-07-28

hi CS

just to thank you for that informative reply re sleep and sleep deprivation. I need only to work another month and a half at this insane pace then am over the worst debt and can let go of one job.

U r right my best bet is to sleep most of Sat - and hope that I actually sleep. With my sleep deprivation over the past month and a half, I have noticed that once I have been forced to stay awake a certain length of time, I begin to wake up again and when I finally get to bed I lie there wide eyed - as though my body got so tired it now believes it must stay awake to stay alive. It is very frustrating being utterly fatigued for a long time then finally getting to bed - and the body will not shut down.

Your shifts as a junior doctor....!!!! And I thought my uncle was kidding all these years about being awake 3 days.

thanks again for advice.

OK, good. On the Saturday you will probably get to sleep, so long as you don't worry about getting to sleep ; and if onset of sleep is slow, just lying calmly in a dark room, maybe with soothing music, should help anyway.
You're right, that one can get more than a second wind, and an accompanying euphoria, which can be misleading. Research in junior doctors found that their performance under such circumstances dropped severely even though they were not aware of it and insisted they were doing fine. And there's that interesting distinction between feeling exhausted yet not sleepy, just as at other times one may feel sleepy, but not exhausted.
Ech, as a junior doc ? I'd go home, fall deeply asleep, and periodically leap up to answer a phone which was not ringing or a beeper which I had not brought home with me.
One of my favourite examples was this --- I worked in journalism and TV/radio work to help support myself ( with the atrocious pay we received). And once the BBC decided to do a short documentary about the plight of the junior doctor, and arranged for a film crew to follow me around through such a week. By the end of day one, the team went on strike and refused to follow me any more, claiming exhaustion and unreasonable working hours for themselves. They discovered union rules would require them to employ so many film crews to follow me through one weekend, that the documentary was not feasible.

Posted by: Lila | 2009-07-29

ha ha - hence them not even being able to do the doccie in fact proved the point about the plight of junior doctors!!!

Reply to Lila