Question
Posted by: boo | 2010/03/26

Hey

Hi doc spoke to my doc Dr Farouk Randeree I sure you know him hes been my new doc that actually helped me alot such a wonderful man anyways I spoke to him about cipramil and cipralex he says that the sexual side effects are irreversible and that if I want to try cipramil again I would have to double the dose as in take 10mg cipramil to be equivalent to 5 mg cipralex I di get a slight panic attack 2 days ago while sitting on my bed I dont attribute it to the medication however I am being watchful my doc suggested taking 5mg of cipralex or 10mg cipramil and like 10mg cipralex or 20mg cipramil on weekends or twice during the week whats your thoughts? hope you having a good weekend

I remmber Dr Randeree fondly, from when I knew him when he was a registrar. I'm not sure about the sexual side-effects being irreversible in the sense I would use that word, which would imply that they would last forever - maybe he meant that if a particular drug has this effect in you, it is likely to also have that effect any other time you tried taking the drug, and I'd agree there.
Cipramil contains the same chemical as Cipralex, but mixed with a different version of the molecule ( like right and left handed versions ), Cipralex containing the active and effective version which is therefor, relatively diluted in the mixed version of Cipramil. The active ingredient is the same, the dosage needed would be less.
And therefore I'd expect that if one experienced the sexual side-effects on the one, you'd also experience them on the other, and the odds of avoiding those side-effects would be better by changing to a different antidepressant.
Apart from that, the dosage pattern your doc suggests would be worth trying, to see how it affects you.

1