Question
Posted by: Curious | 2011-01-10

HERPES(HSV2) Prevalence

How common is HSV2\HPV infection under the Caucasian population in South-Africa. As I have HSV2, one feels alone and isolated!

Hallo Curious
It is quite common and very treatable - please see your doctor as soon as you notice the early symptoms - if you take a antiviral medication within 48 hours it can shorten and prevent outbreaks and prevent you from being infective.

3
Posted by: CD again | 2011-01-12

I agree 100% with you. People should take more responsibility and prevent passing on STD''s. We don''t have reliable South African data but to give you an idea: Prevalance of Genital herpes: 67 million people (NIAID)
Prevalance Rate: approx 1 in 4 or 24.63% or 67 million people in USA [about data]
Incidence (annual) of Genital herpes: 500,000 new cases annually  1 million annual cases (CDC 2001)
Incidence Rate: approx 1 in 544 or 0.18% or 500,000 people in USA [about data]
Google FAMVIR dot com

Reply to CD again
Posted by: Curious | 2011-01-12

Hi Dr Bets,

Went to my doctor yesterday and I was quite surprised. My doc has never heard of viral shedding and said I shouldn''t be so worried. I then asked if it is quite common, and in my honest opinion I think I was the first patient he saw with HSV2, the docs response was " I dont know, because people dont talk about it" . Am I being misinformed? Should I believe what I read on the net?

Dont you think STD''s can be be overcome if people can feel OK to be open about their conditions and talk about it? I got HSV2 while studying at university and didn''t ask for it, but I''m sure the girl that gave it to me knew she had it and should have told me so that I could have made better informed decisions.

Reply to Curious
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011-01-10

Hallo Curious