Question
Posted by: Anon | 2010-05-10

Herpes?

Dear Doc,

Is it possible to have a herpes outbreak inside my vagina without any pain or discharge at all?
AT one point, I had a single blister on my clitoris (I wasn''t even sexually active for months at that stage) and the one time that I went to a GP, he just said it COULD be herpes, no tests done, and he gave me Zelitrex - I''d have that blister almost everytime when I''m about to have or after my period but that eventually stopped, the last time I had the blister was possibly last year.
For the past year, more than 50% of the time after having sex WITH a condom, my vaginal lips would be swollen, painful and puffy and with some visible lesions right at the vaginal entrance - I put that down to the discomfort of friction during sex. I also seemed to be getting recurrent yeast infections especially during these times.
But NOW, recently, my partner and I had UNPROTECTED sex and there was nothing visibly wrong with me and almost immediately after sex, he had a cluster of blisters on the glans of his penis and they went away after about 3 days. Yet he''s been complaining of occassional mild fever/night chills and some sore throat for almost 2 weeks now. Could I have unknowingly infected him? Can the herpes be continuously ACTIVE in my cervix without ANY outward visible signs????

It is possible for herpes to be on the cervix without any visible signs on the outside. It does sound like you have not had a definitive diagnosis made though.

4
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-05-12

Posted by: me | 2010-05-11

ps. there is no discharge with herpes, only the blister which " bursts"  after a few days.

Reply to me
Posted by: me | 2010-05-11

As far as I''m aware once you have herpes its always present in your body, it just depends on how strong your immune system is. So, if you did indeed have herpes (yes you can only have one outbreak whereafter it " hides" ) you infected your parter. But according to my knowledge his outbreak should have occurred within apprx 3 days after unprotected sex.

Reply to me
Posted by: Anon | 2010-05-10

About 5 days after the blisters showed up, he also had a bit of a rash on his back that quickly went away. I thought maybe I''d infected him with shingles cos at that time I''d just had a chicken pox vaccine.....
Please advise.