Posted by: Anon | 2009-08-13

Dear Doc,
I' ve had recurring bouts of what seems like genital herpes for the past 4 months. The last time, about a month and a half ago, I used Zelitrex and haven' t had genital sores since then (thank goodness!!). But I get what seem like normal pimples on my hands now and then and they they disappear, only for another 1 or 2 to show up on different parts on my hands. I' m convinced it' s because of the herpes as well and I' m worried about reinfecting other areas on my body that I touch. What can I do? &  Is it true that a woman who has genital herpes should give birth by C-section to avoid infecting the baby during labour OR does this only refer to when the woman has visible herpes sores during labour? If the latter, are there any precautions that one can take to avoid sores during labour?
Thank you!

Dear Anon
Let your doctor have a look at the spots on your hands but it does not sound like herpes to me. May just be an allergy or something. If you have visible herpes blisters (active infection) in labour, the doctor would rather do a ceasarian section to prevent infection of the baby.