Posted by: debbie | 2009-08-03

hi doc

i' ve chatted to my doctor regarding herpres on my lips. He told me its a viral infection. so i did some research on the net.

I still don' t understand how i could have contracted it as my husband does not have it. my husband is and was my only sexual partner. he did say that about 8 years ago he had something that looked similar to what i have on my lip on his lips. but it was gone in a week.

how long will herepes stay with me? if im planing to have a child what precausions should i take? will it spead to the child or even my husband even though i don t have the sores anymore?

Hi Debbie
Herpes labialis is a common herpes virus that you can pick up when you kiss someone or use a contaminated sample of lipstick in the shop or someone else's lipice. It only is contagious when you have the blisters and if you treat with antiviral as soon as the blisters start ( within 12 hours) there's a good chance that you can eliminate the virus.