Question
Posted by: Sharon | 2010/05/25

Herniated disc in neck

I have a herniated disc in my neck which is quite prominent and can actually be felt as a welt on my neck. Although the initial pain was excruciating, I have since been for about 10 treatments of either physio or chiro. All that seemed to help was dry needling for my muscle spasms in my back and shoulder.

Although the pain has diminished somewhat and it is bearable, I still have a pinched nerve which causes pain in my shoulder and arm, weakness in my arm muscles and tingling and numbness in my thumb.

How serious is this condition (this is now going on my 5th week), and what is the best therapy to treat a herniated disc / pinched nerve without actually resorting to surgery? It is incredibly frustrating as I cannot drive, play with my child or even hold a cup of coffee in the affected arm!

Thank you in advance.

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

A herniated intervertebral disc cannot be felt under the skin, it is situated too deep. If you have weakness in your arm it should be seen by a specialist neurosurgeon, an MRI should be performed and if it appears to be a serious nerve compression surgery may be the only cure but the doctor will decide after examining you and reviewing the scan

1
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010/05/30

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum