Posted by: HerniaGuy | 2012-07-03

Hernia and Leave from Work

Dear CyberDoc,

I have developed a direct inguinal hernia a few months ago and am almost unaware that I have it. I will be going for surgery sometime in August. I, however, forgot to ask my doctor (whom I saw in a public hospital) how long I will be unable to work after the surgery. My work involves a certain amount of physical labour - not very intensive.

Could you please tell me how long I can expect to be " out of action" , so to speak? A mesh will be inserted behind the break in my abdominal wall - it is the standard surgery for a hernia of this type.

Placing a mesh in the abdomen is standard procedure. I am unsure about how long you will be booked off from work. This will depend on your surgeon and the success of the surgery.