Posted by: Neil | 2011-12-16

I have been diagnosed with a hernia (mantelvlies breuk) a couple of years ago, it was small I was told. Currently we live in China and it feels as if I am going to die! I am no longer able to pinpoint the pain, it is all over my abdominal area, by back and by chest! I cannot sleep as there is this stabbing pain in by chest - feels like by intestines have grown to my spine and every time I move they are ripped loose. i have not apetite, my tummy feels full the whole time. I am SO tired, and that in itself is not normal! The doctor gave me Pariet 20mg when we visited South Africa a couple of months ago, but I need to know if these new (aggravated) symptoms are serious, should I book a flight home for the operation now or will i be able to " tough it out"  for four more months without serious side effects? Sorry, somehome doctors in China just " don''t get it"  and the ones that do we cannot afford  -(

Unfortunately, a hiatus hernia can worsen with time, causing ulceration in the esophagus. Serious complications can arise and I do suggest that you seek proper medical help as soon as possible, especially in light of the severity of your pain. You will need to have a gastroscopy and barium meal done.